Requirements for visitor’s visas differ from country to country (click here to see which countries are currently exempt), and the requirements are subject to change.
Visas are not issued at South African ports of entry, and airline officials are obliged to insist on visas before allowing passengers to board.
Please visit this page for more information on applying for a South African visa
• Every visitor to South Africa must have a valid passport.
• Passports should have at least 2 completely empty pages otherwise entry may be denied.
• Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after your intended date of departure.
• Delegates requiring visas, and who intend taking tours to neighbouring Southern African countries, are advised to secure a
multiple entry visa.
• Tourists must satisfy immigration officers that they have the means of support for the duration of their stay in the country, and
return /onward tickets.
• Visas cannot be obtained on arrival.
• Depending on your nationality, and the purpose and duration of your visit, you may not need a visa to visit South Africa.
• Yellow fever certificates are required if the journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South
Get your visa before leaving for South Africa
If you are subject to visa requirements, you should apply for your visa at least four weeks BEFORE your departure for South Africa, and await the outcome of your application before departing. Visas are NOT issued at South African ports of entry, and airline officials are obliged to insist on visas before allowing passengers to board. If you arrive without a visa, immigration officials are obliged by law to refuse you entry to South Africa and to place you on a return flight to your country.